Latest news

Back to News

Overseas Electors Voting Rights 2024

Posted in News on 17 Apr 2024

Changes to voting rights for overseas electors have taken place this year. You can read more about it via the Electoral Commission and the House of Commons Library websites.

If this applies to you, perhaps the quickest way to evidence your right to vote may be through your local council's Electoral Registration Office. They may be able to assist you in making an absent vote application and/or a process called ‘attestation’ where another voter vouches for your application.

To find out more about any of this, please click on the weblinks below of the relevant council in Berkshire that applies to you:

For areas transferred to Oxfordshire in 1974:

Here at the Royal Berkshire Archives, we hold historical electoral registers from across the county. These include constituencies transferred to Oxfordshire in 1974.

We can search these for a residence at a UK address though we will charge a fee for this and for providing copies or extracts from the registers.

Please note that we recommend you contact us at least 28 days before the voting registration deadline. We cannot guarantee to provide evidence after that date.

As mentioned above, there may be cheaper and quicker ways to evidence your right to vote through the local relevant council. Please contact them for advice in the first instance.